Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Titus 3, Bush Bashing

Doing What is Good
1 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.
3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.
9 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10 Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. 11 You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.
Final Remarks
12 As soon as I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, because I have decided to winter there. 13 Do everything you can to help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way and see that they have everything they need. 14 Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives.
15 Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all.


Bush Bashing
I know many people are tired of the Iraq ordeal and we are a country divided by Democrats and Republicans, but I think the message here is clear that no matter who is in charge of making decisions the bible says, "be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate..." So much negative talk and Bush Bashing has gone on including people in the entertainment industry. This negative talk about the President is contrary to the bible and does more harm for our country than good. SO STOP IT!

Just Do Good
Verse 14 simply tells us to just do good and avoid living unproductive lives. I look at my role of a Christian at times and think about what I can do that is good. Something that makes someone else stop and think, "Why would he do something like that without some gain for himself." Nike said, Just Do It and the bible says, Just Do Good! SO DO IT!

4 comments:

Jon Rhodes said...

Hey Nash. The big issue is non-Christians do not know what the bible says and do not bother to do good in all cases. And that is our goal in life is to live a life that would make someone else see that we are different and ask why. However, doing good is tough and sometimes it is hard to be good all the time. Driving and then when I ride my bike I get frustrated at people in cars. I am a very calm person, but something about being on the road makes me lose my cool sometimes. But I am still working on it everyday. I come home tonight, talk to you later. Looking forward to the 100 degree weather.

The MAN Fan Club said...

JR, I am one of those people in the car who get frustrated with bikers I must confess. Although I never honk, swerve at, or drive to close to anyone. I wish they would make a bike trail just for long distance bikers.

I think many Christians are so guilty of bashing those in charge. God has allowed them to be in a place of authority so in the long run people are bashing God when they bad mouth politicians.

Anonymous said...

Mikey, good stuff ya got here. I'll have to say. I don't wanna get off the subject you started too much but it seems like the car is like an anonymous machine. There are no concequences to your actions while driving unless you get caught speeding by the Po-Po, so i think people lose accountability. Like a child that never gets punished. I am ever so guilty of this and had the opportunity to wear our church's magnet on my car and cannot bring myself to do it as I'm afraid of what my actions might do to the church's rep. if I lose a minute of focus on what is really important.

-mark

Crave The Word said...

mark, Ask me about my church magnet moment that happened today. I really think it shielded me from getting a ticket!

TheMAN