Wednesday, January 23, 2008

James 4

I think the 2 verses that stand out the most to me are verses 7 and 8 respectively.

7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you.

First verse 7. I think it is comforting to know that if you resist the devil it says he will flee from you. I had in mind that when you turn away the devil and avoid temptation that his effort to sway you would become stronger. It may, but we are told here that Satan will FLEE! I love that idea.

Verse 8. I taught a lesson on Sunday about "Walking With God." I looked in Genesis at how Noah was the first one in the bible to be called righteous and in Genesis 6 it says Noah walked with God. Noah lived over 600 years so he did a lot of walking. To be close to God it must involve a move on our part first. God is always there so if you feel distant from God, it's YOU and not God hiding from you. God ALWAYS wants our time, attention, talents, tithes, etc. So if you feel that God is distant, find a way to get your self "nearer" to God.

Verse 17 is simply said as well, "17 Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

4 comments:

Erin said...

Great post! I like the flee thing too!

Anonymous said...

Good to see you are back on track!
Blessings, Bill A.

Crave The Word said...

Thanks Erin. I've always pictured Satan as very determined. Here it seems like he preys on the weak-willed.

TheMAN

Crave The Word said...

Bro Bill,

Good to see you keeping me accountable.

TheMAN